Do you know how to live with integrity? Taiwo wasn’t really interested in helping Ola with her mathematics assignment. She had consented to it while they were amongst friends and didn’t want to look uncool. The others had clapped for her, Taiwo never felt this good.
Now, Ola was coming over to Taiwo’s house with the assignment, any minute from now. Oh boy! Taiwo suddenly wished she had not agreed to it in the first place. Her favorite show would be coming on the television soon and she didn’t want to miss it.
‘Why the worry?’ Taiwo’s mom asked her. ‘You are wearing out the rug.’
‘I promised to help Ola with her assignment but can’t anymore. I want to watch my favorite show on television.’ Taiwo answered.
‘Now what did Jesus say about that?’ she asked.
‘We should keep our promises?’ Taiwo said.
‘Exactly!’ said her mom.
Jesus said we should not be too hasty to make a promise. Making a quick decision without first thinking it through could be a problem for us like Taiwo is in right now.
But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation. – James 5:12, KJV
Keeping promises is very important as they help to build our integrity and credibility.
‘So what are you going to do?’ Taiwo’s mom asked her again.
‘I guess I can watch the show next week. Ola won’t be happy if I don’t help her as promised. I have to keep my promise.’ Taiwo said.
I am so proud of you.’ said her mother, clapping for Taiwo.
For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise. (2 Corinthians 10:12 KJV)
1. You are unique You are uniquely created. There are over seven billion people on planet earth and yet nobody else has an exact match of your fingerprints. You have been uniquely packaged for a specific assignment on earth. It is foolhardy then for one to compare himself with another.
2. You have different assignments Everybody has a unique purpose to fulfill on earth. God told Jeremiah that
Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. (Jeremiah 1:5 KJV)
Your purpose precedes your creation. That is how powerful it can get! Everything you need on earth to fulfill your purpose was packaged into you while God is creating you. You are not inferior, you are gifted and you only need to discover it!
3. You have a different life span Some people would have achieved so much by thirty that you are wondering how they are able to do so many things in a few years. But then before they are fifty, they are out of this world. Some people are great achievers too, just that they are latecomers. Their limelight begins when they are over forty or fifty! Stop comparing yourself with what others are doing, focus on God to help you do what you are supposed to do!
4. You will weary yourself When you compare yourself, you will end up getting tired because you will be drawn to do what you are not gifted to do. You will want to impress others and you will soon get tired of trying to do that!
5. You will be distracted The comparison trap breaks your focus. It gets you on the wrong lane of purpose. It is a wasted and futile effort with no reward from God.
Tommorrow, I will show you practical ways to become free from comparison traps.
CONFESSION FOR THE DAY I will not be a victim of competitive jealousy
PRAYER FOR THE DAY Declare over your life your freedom from all wrong spirits
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, (Jude 1:24 KJV)
ACTION PLAN FOR THE DAY Free yourself form all comparisons from today