Secrets That Kill: How to Protect Your Marriage. Lizzie Borden was an American woman who was accused of the 1892 axe murders of her father and stepmother in Fall River, Massachusetts.
Lizzie had kept a number of secrets from her husband, including a secret affair with an actor, and evidence suggested that she had been plotting to kill her father for some time. She also had a very strained relationship with her stepmother and her father, who mistreated her.
The tragic outcome of this case was due to the secrets Lizzie kept from her husband, and the fact that she was not able to confide in him about her problems. Those deaths could have been averted if she opened up to her husband!
Secrets That Kill: How to Protect Your Marriage
Your spouse is a support system God has created to help you out, but how do you get this support when you are secretive and averse to regular communication?
Marriage is a sacred bond between two people, and the foundation of that bond is trust and transparency. In the book of Genesis, we read that “the man and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame” (Genesis 2:25).
This passage highlights the importance of being open and honest with one another in a marriage. It is a call for couples to be naked, in the sense of being vulnerable, with each other.
However, in today’s world, many couples find themselves hiding things from one another. Whether it’s a secret phone or an affair, keeping secrets can have a devastating impact on a marriage. The truth is, it takes a lot of effort to keep a secret, and that effort is often directed away from the marriage. The more you hide, the more you are opening the door to the devil to come in and destroy your marriage.
David, the king of Israel, is a prime example of this. He was a man after God’s own heart, yet he fell into the trap of adultery and murder. If he had been open and honest with his wife about his struggles, this tragic event could have been prevented.
Singles, too, should be mindful of this in courtship. If your partner is already hiding things from you, it’s a red flag that should not be ignored. Marriage will not change them, and it’s important to address these issues before taking the next step.
Honesty and transparency are key in any relationship. As a couple, it’s important to make a conscious effort to be open and sincere with each other and to seek help when needed. Remember, the devil’s greatest weapon is deception, and the more you hide, the more vulnerable you become to his attacks. Don’t let the devil come between you and your spouse, work on your relationship and be close to each other.
Secrets That Kill: How to Protect Your Marriage
Here are five steps that one can take to deal with keeping secrets in marriage:
- Acknowledge the problem: The first step in dealing with keeping secrets in marriage is to acknowledge that there is a problem. Recognize that secrecy can be harmful to your relationship and that it is important to address it.
- Identify the reasons: Identify the reasons why you are keeping secrets from your spouse. Are you afraid of their reaction? Are you ashamed or embarrassed? Understanding the underlying reasons can help you address the problem.
- Communicate openly: Talk to your spouse about the secrets you are keeping and why you have been keeping them. Be honest and open about your feelings and concerns. Communication is key to building trust and intimacy in a marriage.
- Seek professional help: If you find it difficult to talk to your spouse about the secrets you are keeping or if you need help addressing deeper issues, consider seeking professional counseling or therapy. A therapist can help you work through any issues that may be affecting your relationship.
- Take action: Once you have identified the reasons for your secrecy and have communicated openly with your spouse, take action to address the problem. It could be something as simple as changing your behavior or it could involve making more significant changes in your life. The most important thing is to work together with your spouse to find a solution.
May God grant you strength and understanding to do the needful!
Say this Prayer:
Heavenly Father, we come to you today to ask for your protection over our marriage. We know that keeping secrets can be harmful to our relationship. We ask that you would give us the strength and the courage to be open and honest with one another. Help us to identify the reasons why we keep secrets and to address them with love and compassion. Give us the wisdom to seek professional help when needed. Guide us to take action to address the problem and to work together to find a solution. We trust in you and ask that you would protect our marriage from the devil’s attacks. In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.
Use REVIVE prayers from today below
Giving & Partnership with Ministry
Kisses and Huggs Club
Giving to Pastor (Prophet offering)
REVIVE Conversations Hot Seats On Kisses and Huggs Club
Hot Seats – Tuesdays
It will be a proper conversation cum teaching! It will also be in interview mode for singles (with fiancee or not) and married (couples)
Revive Conversations will hold on Tuesdays 9.00pm
Would you want to be interviewed? Do you have an experience the community can learn from? Go ahead and fill out the form here or below.
Once it gets to your turn, we will get in touch with you and the predefined questions will be sent to you three days before the due date!
Are you excited already? See latest Interviews Here
Join Kisses and Huggs Club Community
Extraordinary Services at Shouts of Grace Nation!
Do you live in the city of Ibadan and you don’t have a place of worship yet?
It will be a great honour to have you in our Services.
Location: Joke Plaza, Beside Trans Amusement Park, Bodija – UI Road, Ibadan